Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Must... Update... Blog... Before Christmas!!

Well things have been busy here, of course, with two small boys and Christmas right around the corner.  But I'm catching a quiet few minutes now so I'm gonna post a some pics of my makes this weekend.

I finished my Christmas sewing with time to spare so this weekend have got down to some post-Christmas sewing.  We have a second birthday part in January for a little girl who looooves cats.  So obviously a cat bimaa is needed!  I had some super soft viscose jersey in a grey marl, perfect for a cat.  I wasn't sure what to line and band it with so enlisted long-suffering husband to help me decide and we went for kingfisher blue.  It's not a very girly top but I don't have a stash of girly colours- although I did have some pink for the ears.


I'm really pleased with the ears as they stand up nicely, like proper cat ears.  Sadly I didn't have a model to show this as at the time I was taking pictures my boys were too grubby to model clothes intended for other people.  But take my word for it, these ears are great.  Oscar wants one now, so I have plans to make a fox version.  I have some gorgeous orange minkee fabric which will be just right.  And some yellow, too, so Felix is going to have a pikabimaa! (Yes that's a real word).  As is 'bimaachu'- maybe I'll do him one of those instead.

When I get idea I like to just get on with it, but that's not happening right now because of many many things.

  1. It's Christmas Eve and I've spent the day cleaning the house for top to bottom.  Well, tidying it at least.
  2. I only have about a FQ of orange minkee left, so if I'm going to use that I need to order more.  Also maybe I would need to line minkee or it could be a bit sweaty.  More thought needed.
  3. My rotary cutter blade has died a sad death.  It got a big blunt spot on it, which made cutting a real PITA.  I did get another blade but it had three blunt spots on it straight out of the packet, which was just a bit annoying.  So I'm drawing round my patterns and cutting with scissors (waste of time!!).  Oh and in case you were wondering whether you could give a rotary cutter blade to your long-suffering husband to sharpen... Don't.  So now I'm going to wait and cut when I've bought some more blades.
  4. I need some other bits and pieces, like black for Pikachu's ears and tail end (did I mention there will be tails?)
  5. I need to decide what colour to line the hoods with, and do cuffs and waist bands.  Navy?  Because I have a lot of navy...
I've made a lot of t-shirts lately, and have got to know what I like and what I don't.  I want to make something with inset sleeves with fake layering.  I want it to be baggier than a bimaa but slimmer than my trusty simplicity pj top pattern.  So for this one I got out all the patterns I've used lately (Bimaa, dolman T, PJ top) had a good look at them, and drafted my own pattern.  In my head I'm calling it a 'little bit skinny tee' (more about that later) and it's rather good.  Admittedly it's nothing especially new or exciting but it does the job and I'm going to work up a pattern for Felix's size next.  Oh and how cheeky is Oscar modelling this?  I had to bribe him though...




And finally... A friend of mine at work is having her first baby in March.  I'm so excited!  She's been asking about things I recommend buying and one of my top suggestions is nighties for baby to wear at night, to save all those fiddle little poppers when changing nappies in the night.  I know from experience that they're not all that commonly found in the shops, and I made some myself for Felix.  Oh how I wish I'd known then what I know now- I could have made truly truly beautiful gowns like these which I've made for my friend:


The ones I made for Felix were very cute but these are far superior.  Having diligently studied Kitschy Coo's Grumpy person's guide to knit bindings I adopted the 'kitschy coo method' and it's amazing:

Sadly on the first gown I forgot to cut off the hem allowance so the neck is a bit small but as it's an envelope neck it really shouldn't matter too much.  I also improved the second gown by eliminating the elastic casing at the bottom and stretching round a band to match the sleeves instead.  I really hope she likes them!

No comments:

Post a Comment