Monday, 26 May 2014

Completed: Ava top (Selfish sewing week)

I got Victory patterns' Ava top and dress pattern with my Perfect Pattern Parcel a couple of months ago.  At first I really wanted to make it, because I'd been hankering after a peplum top for ages.  Then I decided it sounded too complicated, and had too many bits, and it looked a bit sophisticated and maybe even a bit uncomfortable (cos I'm pretty much a jeans and t-shirt thirty something mother of two girl, dontcha know?).  So I didn't even print of the pattern pieces.

Then, when I was browsing through people's makes for the Spring Top Sewalong, I saw a lot of tops.  But the one which caught my eye was this top- I thought it looked so cute and awesome and I reeeeeeeally wanted one so I had to click on it to find out more.  Turns out it was an Ava top by Jessica of Where is my instruction manual... so that prompted me to get the pattern printed and make one up of my own.  It also prompted me to follow Jessica's blog and read about the other amazing things she's made (I mean, would you just look at this!  All sewn by hand!). But that's another story...

Anyhow I digress.  Where were we?  Oh yeah, the Ava top.  Here it is!  Apologies for the rubbishy photos, the weather is very changeable lately...

I'm not going to say much about it to be honest, because I just don't have much time.  Ever.  It's come to the point where I figure I either have to keep posts short, or not blog at all (or almost never).  So I'm going to go for the former.  Here goes...

Fabric:  the main fabric is a linen-look 100% heavy cotton from Fabricland in Kingston.  I love this print.  I love love love it.  I wasn't sure if the print was a bit much for a top for work, which is what this top is, but how could you wear these birds and not be happy?  The fabric is quite stiff which makes the peplum quite sticky-outy.  The contrast top and sleeves was small leftover piece from my sister's stash.   I used a lot less fabric than the requirements on the pattern suggested, not sure why.


Construction:  this was a lot easier to put together than I thought it would be.  The intermediate rating put me off, but it was pretty straightforward and the instructions are very clear.  The instructions for binding the sleeves and neckline are especially brilliant, and did not require fiddling around ironing and folding silly little strips.  I think I'm going to use this method for all my future bias binding needs.  The sweetheart neckline made me a bit nervous but it worked fine... Though I did pin and sew one half, then stop in the middle and do a bit of clipping before pinning and sewing the other side.

Fit:  I can't remember which size I made, I just went by my measurements and added a bit to the bodice length.  It's a good fit and very comfortable, though if I made another (which I probably will) I would make the shoulders a bit wider, because I have broad shoulders (from all that working out I do, you know) and the cap sleeves sort of pull a bit on the shoulders.

Overall- success!




1 comment:

  1. Your Ava top is so cute! I love the shape of this blouse--I really need to make one in a print like yours! :-)

    ReplyDelete