Thursday, 2 October 2014

Completed: Skater dresses... including Frozen dress!

 Apologies first up... I don't have any pictures of these lovely little dresses being modelled.  We don't have any girl cubs here... so these are all destined for the shop.  Hopefully they'll find lovely new homes! 

Also- more apologies for the photo quality.  I've been thinking about this more and more lately, because I read a lot of other people's sewing blogs, which always have beautiful photographs of lovely children.  And I always think... wow.  My photos are rubbish.  I'd love to take better photographs, but:
1) it's another one of those things that I never have the time to do.  Wow, there are so many thing I'd like to do- sew more, read more, blog more... but there aren't enough hours in the day so it comes down to taking no photos or taking very 'normal' photos. 
2) My little cubs are not terribly cooperative.  I've tried bribing them but they don't stay still for long enough.
3) We live in London.  It's a good place to live, but it's not all that scenic in our immediate neighbourhood.  We have a small back garden, surrounded by fences and other back gardens.  We can go to take pictures in the park, but it's also surrounded by gardens, and full of people.  We can take pictures down the high street, but nobody wants to see the window of Iceland... do they?  there don't seem to be many decent places nearby to take pictures for the blog.

So here we are.  Dresses hung up, and dresses on the lawn (mercifully it's dry today.  Well, only a bit damp at least).  I know, I know, the grass is dark long and full of terrors weeds.  The lawn is not my area of expertise, and in my defence it was cut last weekend.  How did it get to be so unruly?

Rambling aside, I'm loving sewing up these little beauties.  The pattern is the Skater Dress by Kitschy Coo.  I've made myself two Lady Skater dresses from the adult version of the same pattern (which I totally meant to blog about, honestly, it just... never happened.  Yet.)  Once they're cut out, they take about an hour each.  I have my sewing machine and serger side by side so I flit between the two for seams and topstitching which is super efficient.  As for the hems... my double needle and I had had a falling out again- but I tried to replace it, which must have made it see reason because we have reached a truce and these hems are looking goooood!


I have it on good authority that little girls are all mad about Disney's Frozen, and I was inspired to make some dresses by this wonderful post here by Cherie at You and Mie.  She has two beautiful little daughters and she makes them the loveliest things.  I loved the way she made a Frozen dress which wasn't 'dressing-up'py- more something a little girl could wear anytime, without looking like she's playing dressing up.  This is my version:

To make my Frozen dress I traced the bodice pieces for the pattern but added 2cm to the length.  I then drew a curved line across the front and a straight one across the back, to make the top and bottom bodice pieces.  I had tried a prototype where I sewed the cape into the back seam, but it was just too bunchy and wouldn't lie straight.  So I decided to attach the cape with velcro, and I'm really pleased with the result. 
 


The sweets fabric is also from Kitschy Coo.  If I had a little girl, I'd be keeping this one for her.  It's so unusual- wouldn't it be awesome with red tights or leggings, and some winter boots?


The other fabrics are from myfabrics, which is my new favourite source of affordable knit fabrics.  I also bought the Frozen cape fabric from there, which was a bit of a gamble as I didn't know what it would be like.  I was pleased to find it's exactly what I wanted- a little bit stretchy, a little bit velvetty (is that even a word?), not too thick or heavy, a little bit shiny, and even a little bit glittery.  And it's machine washable, which is a pretty important quality when you're making something white for children!
This pattern is definitely a winner for me, and I really hope some little girls enjoy these dresses as much as I've enjoyed sewing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment