Wednesday, 15 April 2015

Penny pinafore (Kitschy Coo patterns) in foxes

I've been making a lot of stuff lately, but haven't been writing about it.  Mostly because I never get round to taking any photos.  But I'm going to make more of an effort!  Though I can't pretend these photos are flattering, but I don't particularly care.

This is the Penny Pinafore by Kitschy Coo and it's a brilliant pattern.  The stars was my first attempt, and the fabric is from Myfabrics.  It think I've mentioned them before and I highly recommend the site: they have a vast range of all types of fabric, which ships from Germany (free shipping on orders over £40!) and typically arrives in 4-5 days or so.  The website says they have Europe's widest range of fabrics online, and I can well believe it.

I figured the fit would be the same as the lady skater dress so I cut a size 5 and added 5cm to the bodice length.  And it fitted great, first time.

So then I cut into my precious Lillestoff Foxes fabric (also from Kitschy Coo).  I wanted some stripes for the centre panel but couldn't find anything which would match, anywhere, so I ended up buying this stripe Jersey direct from Lillestoff.  (Do they offer free shipping on orders over £40?  Um, no, they do not.  Their shipping is crazy expensive!  Although their fabrics work out slightly cheaper when bought direct, the shipping means it's definitely cheaper to buy from a UK supplier where possible).

I'm so pleased with this dress.  I'm not so pleased with the early summer which has arrived this week, meaning it's now too hot to wear it.  But next winter I'm going to wear it ALL WINTER LONG.



I love this pattern.  It's quick to sew up and gorgeous to wear.  It doesn't have a separate skirt piece, which makes it super comfy at the waist.  Those princess seams are just so flattering.  I've used this princess seam line to pattern hack a swimsuit pattern, and it worked so well.  I say it's flattering... I'm not gonna pretend it's so flattering that I'd post a picture of me in the swimsuit for all the internet to see.  But it is awesome, you'll just have to take my word for it.

2 comments:

  1. I love the length on this dress, and the seamlines are really flattering. The pattern blocking is also such a fun touch! I have some Lillestoff in my stash that I'm carefully whacking off chunks of for my boys. It's precious stuff, but SO nice to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know- it felt super decadent to sew something as big as a dress for myself with this fabric!

    ReplyDelete